Parents Of Baby Girls Warned Over Big Bow Headbands After 14-Week-Old Infant Dies

By Amanda Moore, Parent Herald March 17, 04:00 am
Close
Hollywood Gay Men Cliches That Need To Go Away For Good
Parents should exercise more care in putting big bow headbands for baby girls as one 14-week-old baby reportedly died from it.
(Photo : Mario Tama/Getty Images)

Parents of baby girls need to be extra careful about using big bow headbands for their infants. A 14-week-old baby reportedly died from suffocation when the headband slipped and covered her nose and mouth while she was sleeping.

A friend of the baby's family allegedly shared the tragic incident in an already deleted Facebook post, according to Mirror. The friend wanted to warn parents of the dangers of the hair accessory.

"[The mom] thought she was sleeping in her carry cot after a long walk," the post stated. "When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wet nose and mouth and wasn't moving...she had passed away."

Medical experts said the baby died due to suffocation asphyxiation. It happened when a baby isn't able to breathe enough oxygen because of her sleeping position or if there's a blockage in her nose and mouth, according to Baby Your Baby. Parents were advised not to cover up their baby especially if they cannot see the infant while she's sleeping.

Police in Glasglow in Scotland, however, were unable to verify the incident. Before the post disappeared, some 80,000 users already shared this on Facebook, according to Chronicle Live.

"Children can easily swallow, inhale or choke on items left in their reach as they naturally grasp anything and put it in their mouths," Sheila Merrill of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said. "Once in their mouth they find it difficult to remove the item," she added.

The warning comes following a controversy about Jojo Bows, which has become popular among school children. Schools have banned Jojo Bows because its size and bright colors were distracting classes, according to the Chester Chronicle.

Jojo Bows were named after 13-year-old Jojo Siwa. The star of "Dance Moms," a reality TV show, was often seen wearing the accessory, which caught the interest of tweens.

© 2017 ParentHerald.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Sign up for our Newsletter

Real Time Analytics