Toxic Lead Paint Found On Playground Equipment
Playgrounds children's most favorite places. However, parents must exercise caution when bringing their kids to playgrounds. The journal Science of the Total Environment has recently published a study that revealed that playground equipment contain toxic levels of lead.
A group of scientists from Plymouth University conducted a study on 26 parks in England, and tested the levels of lead paint found on playground equipment. The results showed that children are exposed to a lot of risk because of the high levels of lead found in playgrounds.
BBC reported that the suggested safe levels of lead paint in accordance with European rules should only be at 0.25 percent. However, in one old park at Plymouth, a 10 percent presence was detected. In other playgrounds all over England, the lead presence was also higher than the recommended safe levels.
The study was conducted in various areas in the U.K. which include Somerset, Hampshire, Cornwall and Devon. According to Dr. Andrew Turner, parks located in other areas in U.K. are expected to likewise yield high amounts of lead.
This is a cause for concern since lead is considered by the World Health Organization as one of the top 10 chemicals that fall under the "major public health concern" category. Cadmium, which is another dangerous chemical, was also found in paint used on playground equipment.
NHS has mentioned that lead poisoning can do a lot of harm to the mental and physical development of the child. Although it will not "poison" a child in a single setting, parents must still exercise caution whenever their children are in playgrounds, especially in old ones built several decades ago.
To avoid lead poisoning, it is imperative for parents to constantly remind their children to wash their hands immediately after playing. If possible, taking a bath after playing will surely do the trick of getting rid of any lead paint that might have stuck on the child.