Drug Overdose Latest News: Two Utah Thirteen-Year-Olds Confirmed Dead Due To Synthetic Opioid Called ‘Pink’

By Chiara Leghler, Parent Herald November 04, 03:01 am

A new synthetic opioid called "pink" took the lives of two Utah teenagers. Park City Police confirmed on Thursday that the two teens died due to acute drug intoxication.

"Pink" is also referred to as U-47700. The Utah teenagers were identified as Grant Seaver and Ryan Ainsworth. Both of them are 13 years old. Seaver died on September 11 while Ainsworth died on September 13.

Seaver and Ainsworth both went to Treasure Mountain Junior High School and lived in the Park City area. The two were found dead in their respective homes, Gephardt Daily reported. The drug reportedly got to Park City and was made available to the local teenagers after they ordered it from China.

One of the local teens was charged with distribution of a controlled substance as well as reckless endangerment. A group of teens continues to be investigated.

Investigators also reportedly found conversations about the U-47700 drug on the Facebook conversations of the teens killed. FOX News reported that the drug was also found at the estate of musical legend Prince, who died earlier this year.

"Pink" is among the new generation of opioid drugs that is being manufactured in labs overseas. These drugs are too new classified under recreational drug so they are not being listed as illegal yet.

"Pink" is said to be easily purchased online for as low as $40. The effects of "Pink" is said to lead to fatal results. A small amount could kill a person especially if it is taken with another drug.

Moreover, "Pink" is nearly eight times stronger than morphine. It is believed that 50 deaths are connected to the U-47700 drug all over the United States.

Police officials released a statement regarding the drug. They noted that parents or other individuals should know that despite U-47700 being called as "Pink," it is a white powder and is not colored pink. It also comes in liquid form and could pass as a medicine that is in a dropper bottle or a nasal inhaler. Parents and other individuals should also check the packages being sent to their homes especially those from Asian countries.

© 2018 ParentHerald.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Sign up for our Newsletter

Real Time Analytics