MMR Vaccine and Autism Update: Vaccines Do Not Cause Autism, Study Shows

These astonishing study results may surprise you. Measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccines do not bring cause autistic symptoms, as revealed in the results of the latest study conducted in the United States.

The study was conducted on 95,000 children, according to CNN. Among those tested, 84 percent of the 95,000 kids mentioned had their MMR vaccines, according to Parenting.com. The remaining 16 percent have not gotten their MMR vaccines at the time of the study. Researchers facilitated the study continuously in increment sessions for a period of 11 years in total.

The results were made available to the public on the Tuesday edition of Journal of the American Medical Association. Specialists arrived at these observations after having studied kids with older siblings suffering from Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).

The observations attributed the autistic tendencies to genetic inheritance. The researchers said that they "found no evidence that receipt of either 1 or 2 doses of MMR vaccination was associated with an increased risk of ASD."

Fears for the autism tendencies to surface after acquiring MMR vaccines still continue to persist though, according to Anjali Jain, who is Lewin Group's pediatrician and the one who facilitated the said study conducted. "Their [kids with autistic older siblings] vaccination rates were about 10 percent less than for kids with unaffected siblings."

He released this official statement in reference to the results yielded from his study. "We found that there was no harmful association between the receipt of the MMR vaccine and the development of an autism spectrum disorder."

According to Jain, there is a need to closely study the association between MMR vaccines and autism. "Although there is a lot of research suggesting that there is no link between the MMR vaccine and autism spectrum disorder, those beliefs continue to persist," he said.

Funds for the MMR vaccine and autism research were provided by The National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

According to Jamanetwork.com, ASD is defined as: "claims with a diagnosis code in any position for autistic disorder or other specified pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) including Asperger syndrome, or unspecified PDD."

"We're not sure as a scientific community what causes autism, but vaccines do not," shared Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN.

© 2021 ParentHerald.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Real Time Analytics