TikTok 'Blackout Challenge' Claims Another Child's Life, Authorities Issue Warning

Photo: (Photo : LOIC VENANCE/AFP via Getty Images)

A 12-year-old boy who attempted the viral TikTok "blackout challenge" did not survive the dangerous game after being found on the floor inside his Oklahoma home.

According to reports, the police found the boy unresponsive with some marks around his neck. The unnamed boy was rushed to the Children's Hospital at the University of Oklahoma but died the following day.

The police said that his family believed he participated in the TikTok blackout challenge, which encourages kids to choke themselves to the point of losing consciousness. Those who claimed to have attempted and survived the game said they experienced a " euphoria-like feeling."

Lt. Angelo Orefice of the Oklahoma Police told parents to look after kids who are active on social media because they might try this trend to occupy their time. With lockdowns, stay-at-home orders, and restrictions in place, kids could quickly become bored at home and attempt to do stuff they find on the internet.

There Have Been Multiple Deaths

The Oklahoma boy has not been the first victim of the TikTok blackout challenge. In March, another 12-year-old boy from Colorado was hospitalized after his twin brother discovered him slumped on the bathroom floor. Joshua Haileyesus was declared brain dead at the hospital and will not likely survive; the doctors told his father.

Read AlsoTeens Fake COVID-19 Tests Using Soda or Juices To Skip Schoo

The boy's family wants the public to know of the risk of following a dangerous trend. His dad urges the community to be aware of the viral challenge and spread awareness of what some kids are doing on the internet.

However, the viral game did not start on TikTok as it's also called "The Choking Game" on various online platforms. It has been tied to the death of a 9-year-old child in Tennessee, who was found on his bed with a belt around his neck.

In Italy, a 10-year-old girl also lost her life for playing the game. Her family said that before her death, she told her younger sister that she would do the "pass out challenge" in the bathroom. Her death prompted the Italian government to temporarily block TikTok users based on their age.

How to Tell if Kids Are Doing the Challenge

In 2008, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) attributed some 82 deaths among children between the ages of six to 19 from 1995 to 2007 to different choking games. The health agency said that there are some tell-tale warnings if a child has been trying to attempt this dangerous activity.

These include some marks on the neck, severe headaches, and bloodshot eyes. The kids could appear to be disoriented after spending their time alone. The parents may find belts, ropes, scarves tied to the doorknob, or furniture. The TikTok blackout challenge also makes a person faint or develop seizures and brain damage.

Parents are advised to speak to their children about the life-threatening risks of playing the choking game. The kids might also need to talk with a professional.

Related ArticleKeto for Kids: Experts Caution Mothers Against Following Controversial Diet Trend

© 2021 ParentHerald.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Real Time Analytics