9-year-old Girl Suffers From Acid-Like Burns After Applying Sunscreen, Company Claims Their Products are Safe
While vacationing in Mexico, a nine-year-old girl suffered from acid-like burns and looked like someone has sprayed acid on her after she applied sunscreen, which is said to be a popular brand.
The mother of the child, identified as Louise Nickles from Exeter, a city in Devon, England, said that the name of the sunscreen she used on her daughter is Banana Boat Ultramist Kids SPF 50. She and her daughter, identified as Olivia Bennett, went to a vacation in Mexico earlier this June when the incident took place.
Nickles said that her daughter's legs broke out in blisters and is now asking for the product to be removed from stores where it is being distributed and displayed, Fashion IE reported. She shared that it was supposed to be her daughter's trip of a lifetime but instead got acid burns and cold be scarred for life. She added, "I really want it just taken off the shelves, and for other people to be aware of it."
Nickles noted that she frantically tried to wash the sun lotion from the legs of her daughter after she noticed that some spots of her legs turned bright red and were blistering. Bennett was then forced to wear leggings for the entirety of their trip in the tropical head at Playa de Carmen and is now embarrassed by her scars she got from using the sun screen. She also refuses to wear shorts and skirts due to how her legs look.
Banana Boat has released a statement regarding the matter and stood firm with their claim that the quality of their products is at its best. The firm said that their products undergo "rigorous internal and independent testing to ensure they are appropriately labelled, including for SPF, and meet all relevant regulations."
Nickles is still weighing whether or not they will be making a legal action against the company.
A mother from Ohio, United States, identified as Krista Temple, said that her son also became red and bumpy after using the same brand of sunscreen. The Ohio mother said that it took almost a week for the reaction of the sunscreen on her six-year-old son's skin to die down.
In 2012, several Banana Boat sun car products were removed from shelves due to a potential risk of the product igniting on a user's skin. Accordingly, this could happen if and when it came into contact with a source of ignition before the product was completely tried on the user's skin.
See Now: Top 30 Best The Incredibles 2 Toys