Michelle Obama Subtly Responds To Trump Abandoning 'Let Girls Learn' Campaign
Former First Lady of the United States (FLOTUS) Michelle Obama subtly spoke of President Donald Trump reportedly cutting off her "Let Girls Learn" initiative. The signature campaign of the former FLOTUS launched in 2015 focused on prioritizing education for young women across developing countries.
Following the news that "Let Girls Learn" would soon end, Obama said in a tweet that she and her husband will still continue their campaigns even if they already descended from the Oval Office. Harper's Bazaar reported that the former FLOTUS underscored they will continue with the girl's education, in particular.
"Barack & I will continue to champion the issues close to our hearts, including girls ed," Barack Obama's wife said. Along with the tweet, she attached a photo of her hugging a young lady in anticipation of Obama Presidential Center's debut.
Excited by the potential of the Obama Pres. Center. Barack & I will continue to champion the issues close to our hearts, including girls ed. pic.twitter.com/3VVtNyKHLK
— Michelle Obama (@MichelleObama) May 3, 2017
An exclusive report from CNN said that Trump will discontinue the former FLOTUS' signature campaign according to officials. Per an email sent to Peace Corps employees, the agency's acting director Sheila Crowley advised staff members to stop using the "Let Girls Learn" brand.
The White House, however, confirmed hours after that the campaign will still continue contrary to what the obtained internal documents said. White House spokesperson Kelly Love told the outlet there would be no changes to be made for the program.
Official website of "Let Girls Learn" said that the campaign employs "holistic approach to change the perception of the value of girls at the individual, community, and institutional levels." It was also founded to give a conducive environment for girls and foster engagement among them that would benefit the society.
Earlier this week, another initiative that lady Obama championed has been a target of the Trump administration. NPR reported that Trump's newly slated Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue announced that lunch standards will be changed to make it more appealing to students.
The administration aimed to "Make School Lunches Great Again" by being flexible with the nutritional requirements of school lunches. This, however, would entail unhealthier food choices among school kids according to advocates.
See Now: Top 30 Best The Incredibles 2 Toys